Pages

Friday, October 15

Discover New York with One To World

Host, Monica Mecca and student, Yaeji Chun







Have you ever been in a foreign locale and thought – “I really wish I knew a native to show me the places that are off the beaten track- I’d love to get a perspective of the city through the eyes of someone actually living here!”
 
One To World aimed to fulfill this request on Saturday, October 2nd with their first Community Visit of the semester- Discover New York. Thirty-four International students were paired with twenty native New Yorkers (or people that commute to NYC for work and play) and taken on unique tours planned exclusively by the New York City hosts themselves.

Students went beyond just taking a bite out of the Big Apple; they also had the chance to discover the outer-boroughs as many hosts brought their visitors to various neighborhoods in Brooklyn and across the Hudson River to Hoboken, NJ.

Send us a comment and tell us about your Discover New York experience on Saturday, Oct 2nd- Where did you go and what did you learn?

Furthermore- What is the most unique experience you’ve had in a foreign country? Did you have a traditional family-style dinner in native’s home? Did you watch a local sporting event or partake in some sort of recreational activity? We want to hear from you!

Mirko (Italy), Yashil (India), and Yolande (France) 

1 comment:

  1. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience as a Discover New York Host as I had 3 very enthusiastic and inquisitive internationals. We walked along the Hudson river front while exchanging views on various current events, enjoyed a very American lunch, and browsed a Halloween costume shop among other things. I look forward to doing it again in the future as it truly helps me appreciate where I'm from!

    ReplyDelete