Pages

Friday, February 25

Beyond Manhattan


I’d simply say New York whenever my peers at college had asked me where I’m from. Of course, it being New York, the person asking me would usually say “Oh!” followed by some form of “Awesome!” But I flinched every time I gave that answer – not because I was lying but because it was a half answer.

Brooklyn Bridge
Yes. I’m from New York. But the complete answer is “I’m from Brooklyn.” What a lot of people in the outside world don’t understand is that there is more to New York than just the borough of Manhattan.  

Manhattan is just one of the five boroughs. It’s not even the largest borough - which is Queens - or the most populous - which is Brooklyn - but it gets all the recognition. While I do have to admit that Manhattan is the ‘happening’ borough – aside from mandatory family events in the other boroughs, I spend most of my free time in Manhattan – the other boroughs do have activities and events which are just as comparable to those in Manhattan.

Just this past month, for example, I was out and about, visiting the aquarium, the botanic garden, and the various parks around Brooklyn. Downtown Brooklyn and its surrounding neighborhoods also have a number of cute cafes and restaurants which are definitely well worth their prices (which aren’t as expensive as those in Manhattan to begin with!).
Paris Baguette in Flushing, Queens

We also drive out to Queens quite a bit for food. In fact, for my birthday, my sister drove out to Queens to get my birthday cake from Paris Baguette, a French inspired Asian bakery in Flushing with some of the most unique cake designs and flavors that I’ve ever seen. My sister spent three hours in traffic but the cake (raspberry mousse!) was definitely worth it.

Besides the food, each borough has its own characteristics and something unique to offer. If you’re perpetually stuck on Manhattan, you will definitely not get the chance to fully appreciate how great all of New York City is. Plus, each of the boroughs is just a train ride away. With that kind of convenience, there is no excuse for you to not go out and explore the city. Remember that New York is more than just Manhattan.

The other boroughs need some love too. Check out the Events Page to find specific activities in each borough!


This post was researched and written by One To World intern, Jessica Zhang

No comments:

Post a Comment