Pages

Friday, March 25

Why NYC's public transportation is amazing

Rainy days are not fun. Especially when the rain turns into little balls of ice that pummel your face like it's a moving target - kind of like Wednesday. But when it rains, I am grateful for public transportation because I can stand in the shelter of the bus stop. That usually means that I can spare myself the sight of my pathetic umbrella flipping in the presence of the fiercely nonexistent wind.

The waterfalls in the stations remind
 me of Niagara Falls.
But aside from these minor grievances, NYC does have a pretty amazing transportation system. Considering that you only need to pay $2.25 for a ride which can take you from one corner of the city to another, NYC's public transportation system is quite the system: the subway system alone has over 400 stations which service over five million people on an average workday.

Due to the fact that the subway system is so old - the first sections of the subway began operating in 1904 - there are some really impressive things about the subways, which, if you are feeling adventurous and decide to go exploring, can turn into an exciting expedition. Like the adventure that I had on the 6 train.

So I was on the 6 train one weekend and, it being the weekend, the train skipped my stop and went straight to it's last stop. Since I am lazy, I decided that I should just stay on the train. I mean, the trains always turn around, right?

The old City Hall stop. It looks just like this
in real life!
I wasn't actually sure. But I had made my choice and I wasn't going to admit I was wrong so I sat back in my seat and pretended to know what was going on. Then the most amazing thing happened: the 6 train went by the old City Hall station which was closed in 1945. It was gorgeous. The experience was like discovering a dinosaur fossil - or what I imagine it would be like to discover a dinosaur fossil.

Anyway, the point is that the subways are pretty cool: they're cheap to ride on and full of history. So if you had the chance to check out the New York Transit Museum, you should go. You'll definitely find out more about the quirks of the transportation system. Coincidentally, One To World is organizing a tour of the New York Transit Museum on Tuesday, April 5th. And what a coincidence! Here's a link to where you can register for the One To World tour.

Maybe you should click on it. What with all the coincidences, today may just be your lucky day!

No comments:

Post a Comment