Pages

Tuesday, July 12

"If I Can Make It There, I'll Make It Anywhere"- By Yolande Libene

 As part of a CIEE competition of essays on experiences abroad, our Yolande Libene, year long intern at One To World from Sciences Po, was runner up! Read her story below. 

"If I can Make It There, I'll Make It Anywhere"
Yolande Libene, France
Interning for One to World in New York City 
The first day of my internship, I was nervous. It was my first job in the United States and my first working experience in an office. Everything was new to me! I couldn’t imagine at that time that what I was about to embark upon was not only a new professional step for my career but a life-changing experience. My internship helped me to define my career and made me grow as a person.


From September 2010 until June 2011, I have been working for the New York-based non-for-profit organization, One To World, whose goal is to create global citizens and inspire a peaceful world through one-of-a-kind programs in classrooms and communities. One To World provides programs and services to the 50,000 international students and scholars affiliated to universities in the greater New York area.


As the program assistant of the organization, I have been able to develop my professional skills way beyond my expectations. Coordinating and advertising for programs, I gained an invaluable experience in event planning, non-profit management, as well marketing and communication. I can’t believe that I am now able to make a presentation in front of 100 people in English! (Picture 1)


As part of One To World’s Global Classroom program, I led interactive workshops on France and French culture in New York City public school classrooms. Some weeks after a workshop I conducted on Monet’s paintings, the students went to The Metropolitan Museum of Art and remembered my presentation! The significant impact of our program made me so proud and happy! (Picture 2)


More importantly, during this year of internship in the United States I have built relationships and friendships that will last forever. Thanks to my internship at One To World, I have met people from all around the world. My network is now huge! Working within a wonderful team was also a unique opportunity to discover American culture in a way that I would not have discovered as a tourist. I had my first Thanksgiving! (Picture 3)

 
Through my internship, I have been transformed into an active actor of globalization promoting values I am fond of, such as peace and cultural exchange. I will continue to play this role back in France. It is especially meaningful to me, as a student in political science and international relations, that my internship put life into the ideas I was studying in class.
And last but not least, my internship in New York City made me more self-confident. An experience in New York City is highly valued by potential employers. As says Sinatra: “If I can make it there, I’ll make it anywhere”!


No comments:

Post a Comment