Pages

Wednesday, May 18

Williamsburg, Brooklyn

I have never taken the G train. Whenever I see a connection for the G train at the station that I'm in, I will automatically turn and stare, wondering what magical creatures and adventures lie in wait for the lucky commuters on the G train.

Don't get me wrong though. I know that I am mistaking commuters' haggard faces for faces full of pure bliss and subway rats for dragons or unicorns but I will be unhappy if you tell me that the G train is not bound for a happy marshmallow filled destination. At the very least, I know for sure that it takes you to Hippieland (also known as Williamsburg!).

Murals in Williamsburg.
So what more needs to be said? Just the fact that it is a hippie haven makes Williamsburg cool beyond cool: which is why I'm secretly jealous that I don't get to take the G train to work. The neighborhood used to be an industrial area but it now houses a thriving art and music scene, giving the area a sophisticated glamor reminiscent of that in Manhattan. But if nothing else, the rent in Williamsburg resembles that in Manhattan.

More murals in Williamsburg.

Even if you don't live in this neighborhood, Williamsburg is the place to be these days. It has a number of thrift stores if you're looking for some stylish or vintage clothing and some of the best restaurants in New York, including the famous Peter Luger Steakhouse. Or, for those who like to wander, Williamsburg has quite a few art galleries to explore as well.



All in all, Williamsburg is definitely worth visiting. If you're interested in spending a day in Williamsburg, be sure to sign up for One To World's walking tour of Williamsburg scheduled for Sunday, May 22. Click here to reserve your spot now! If you're really anxious about checking Williamsburg out before then, you can check out things to do in Williamsburg here.

The Roebling Tea Room
in Williamsburg.
Williamsburg is also home to
Brooklyn Brewery.



No comments:

Post a Comment